MESF's vision has always been to work with Murdock parents and the local community to contribute to enhancing curriculum and addressing capital needs of the school. As you may or may not be aware, the Cobb County School Board is drafting allocations for the next SPLOST (read here for background on SPLOST), which will eventually be put to public referendum after the Board approves the allocations.
Murdock Elementary has a temporary wing that was constructed in the 1980s and has never been made a permanent addition to the school. The wing's age and lack of permanency is starting to show in numerous ways (ceiling leaks, electrical safety hazards) and the wing may not be up to building codes and safety standards. The current SPLOST allocation from the Cobb County School Board does not address these issues. To that end, MESF is working with PTA and other concerned parties to raise community awareness on this issue.
On Wednesday, September 14, we had a phenomenal turnout of parents and supporters at the Cobb County School Board meeting, asking the board to replace the temporary wing. The room was filled with Mustangs! While some board members seemed receptive, some comments made raised question of their support. As of now, the committee has submitted their recommendations for board approval, and the wing is not addressed. This list will be finalized in October and we do not have any time to wait.
What you can do: We need to tell the board that our student's health and safety should be prioritized above other issues.
- We need you to continue to write the Board on behalf of Murdock
- We need you to continue to call members of the Board
- We need you to come and speak in support of Murdock at the last meeting before the workbook is finalized. Please come early to sign-up to speak as the Cobb County PTA is also planning on a large showing.
- Please remember to be professional and polite. Schools with community members who have lost their tempers have not had their requests met.
Where: Cobb County School Board Meeting, Cobb Central Office, 514 Glover Street, Marietta GA 30060. (map)
Who: You can contact the Cobb County School Board members via email.
- Randy Scamihorn firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Thayer Sthayer.email@example.com
- David Morgan Dmorgan.firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Chastain Dchastain.email@example.com
- David Banks Dbanks.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Sweeney Ssweeney.email@example.com
- Brad Wheeler Bwheeler.firstname.lastname@example.org